Methodists have been in Pendleton since the early 1800′s. First we were served by circuit riding ministers until in 1950 we were a station church with our own minister.
In 1840 an acre of land was purchased for $75.00 from David Cherry. A white wooden church was built on this land.
In May of 1938 lightning struck the church and it burned to the ground. The members met in the High School auditorium while the new church was being built. Donations came from many sources to help meet the cost of this building. In November of the same year a new brick sanctuary with Sunday School classrooms was ready for services.
Over the years Pendleton United Methodist Church was served by many ministers, active lay leaders, and members. With membership continuing to grow, new buildings were built to the church.
In 1987 the small brick church was torn down and a new sanctuary was built. The building was consecrated in 1988. Again in 2001 a new building was added on to the church. This new education building had many Sunday School classrooms, a parlor, and a beautiful fellowship hall with a large kitchen.
The members of Pendleton United Methodist Church continue to serve the citizens of Pendleton with the use of our facilities as we live up to our Mission of Inviting, Equipping and Sending Forth.